Versatility > Precision

As I look to running new non-fantasy (i.e. non-D&D) games in the future I find myself constantly returning to the thought that a system which stresses versatility should win out over one focused on precision.

Highly precise systems are usually good at 'capturing the exact feel' of something - take a look at the out-of-print Alpha Omega for a minute, or the interesting 'hyper-anime' Tenra Bansho Zero

But the reality of my current gaming situation is that any game that gets off the ground may not stay off the ground long-term as we try to find a good fit for my new group. This probably means we will shift genre/milieu entirely a couple of times. 

To avoid all the disadvantages of multiple game system learning curves, I'm looking for something with enough detail to satisfy my need for structure while still allowing for a broad horizon of choice. A system that the group can essentially learn once and re-apply as we move around a bit. GURPS would be a suitable knee-jerk choice, and while I've got experience with GURPS 2nd edition it's not very current and sometimes fails at delivering on the cinematic.


Enter Savage Worlds Deluxe: Explorer's Edition. A simple enough read it seems but I've not had a chance to playtest the rules. A quick scan of the interwebs shows that there is metric fuck-ton of splat books and genre treatments. Very promising. Because it is current, it is being widely discussed and developed for by numerous RPG game developers in addition to Pinnacle Entertainment Group. I'm going to order two of the softcover books this weekend with an Amazon gift card I received at Christmas so that I have the rules on-hand if/when we switch away from D&D.

Maybe I can even see if there is a Roll20 game going on that I can listen in on to gain some proficiency with the rule set. I should check /r/lfg to see if there is a game where I can lurk and learn.

Comments

Popular Posts